Wool and Water

"How can she knit with so many?" the puzzled child thought to herself. "She gets more and more like a porcupine every minute!"

My Photo
Name:

hmmm ... maybe the truth will be uncovered here, or maybe not?

Saturday, March 25, 2006

More Old Things

I'm getting tired of looking at so many pictures of this old, wrinkly sheet, so these will be the last of the old things I'll put here. I must have something better to use as a background
for shawls - I'll find something before the Rosebud is done.



This is the Irish Diamond Shawl from Cheryl Oberle's book - this is perhaps the only pattern I've ever done twice (I hate repeating myself), this is the second attempt. It is all mis-shapen because it is another very often used shawl, and really needs rebloc
king ...
It's knitted in New Enland Shetland Woodsmoke from Harrisville Designs, which is a very nice, dyed-in-the wool yarn, and has a nice depth to the color - which you prolly can't see in my crappy photos.

This next one is the Cobweb Crepe Shawl from Heirloom Knitting, the first real shetland type shawl I've attempted, and at that point the finest yarn I'd everknit with ( I suppose my lack of fear after knitting with this is what led to my attempting the WRS ... God only knows where I might go if I successfully complete that - it's not something I relish comtemplating). I really like the clematis edging on this, even though I really hate knitting edgings - they go on and on and on ....

I know there's a big "blob" in the center - it's caused by the shawl hanging over the back of the rocking chair, and is not a "feature" or error on my part - just taking pictures in a hurry so I can hide the shawl from the infamous enemy ...

Here is the last of the wrinkly, old pictures - Project 2 from Heirloom Knitting, in shetland 2 ply. It is basically the same pattern as the Cobweb crepe, done in a heavier yarn with a different edging. It is now my favorite shawl for everyday - it's kind of annoying that simple, easy to produce things are so practical and useful.




Note to Self: "The highly skilled knitters turn out lovely work, but sometimes, with a true Irish touch of 'nothing really matters', their knitting shows mistakes, always found in the simple patterns, and a careless nonchalance in the crossing of their cables!" Gladys Thompson, Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys & Arans. Maybe it's genetic?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home