Wool and Water

"How can she knit with so many?" the puzzled child thought to herself. "She gets more and more like a porcupine every minute!"

My Photo
Name:

hmmm ... maybe the truth will be uncovered here, or maybe not?

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Irish Crochet


I've always wanted to do Irish crochet ... but I've never known anyone who knows how to do it - but now there's Ravelry! I've gotten myself involved in an Irish Crochet CAL, so perhaps I'll figure out all those little things I couldn't figure out from Irish Crochet Techniques and Projects.

The first motif is a shamrock, and while the pattern is fairly simply, the technique is a bit confusing. I think I'm crocheting too tightly, and I don't think I'm handling the padding cord the right way - it tends to hang behind the work. I'll try another one after I get some smaller thread tomorrow.

30 bedspread squares

Note to Self: "The highly skilled knitters turn out lovely work, but sometimes, with a true Irish touch of 'nothing really matters', their knitting shows mistakes, always found in the simple patterns, and a careless nonchalance in the crossing of their cables!" Gladys Thompson, Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys & Arans. Maybe it's genetic? (reposted because I need to remember!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home